The Rise Of Quiet Luxury And Why It Is Here To Stay

Add a review

Descriptions

When I began working as a fashion journalist, my first few paychecks were dedicated to buying bags, shoes, and clothes. In my young mind, loud logo bags and garments as well as monogrammed buckle belts were my tickets to earning legitimate fashion credentials. It wasn’t until I moved to Paris in 2008 (to take up my MBA in Luxury Goods) that I had to unlearn everything that I thought I knew about luxury.

My favorite professor, Olivier Roux, who had worked for years at Dior before joining the fashion faculty, opened his class with this statement. “In France, luxury has nothing to do with the bright, shiny, new things. Logos and monograms are not luxury. It’s a cashmere sweater from Loro Piana. It’s a vintage Hermes bag, preferably handed down by your mother or grandmother. It’s heirloom jewelry that’s been in your family for generations.”

After that first class with Olivier, I got rid of my graffiti logo Marc Jacobs bag and began hunting for vintage stores around the 16th arrondissement. A Louis Vuitton bag that maxed out my card before leaving Manila, never saw the light of day–at least not when I had Olivier’s class on the schedule.

Chic French Nonchalance and Quiet Luxury

Quiet luxury, as it is now referred to by journalists, editors, and fashion critics, is nothing new. If anything, it’s a style constant that has continuously evolved while louder, more pronounced trends take center stage. In my MBA class, for instance, many of the foreign students showed up to school wearing brand new pieces, freshly plucked from the row of designer shops along George V and Champs Elysee. They carried the season’s “it” bags from Givenchy and Balenciaga—the bigger the logos the better. They paraded their Louis Vuitton in full monogrammed regalia.

Source link https://returndays.com/index.php/2024/03/01/the-rise-of-quiet-luxury-and-why-it-is-here-to-stay/?feed_id=206334&_unique_id=65e26c2498de7

Similar Products

1756542477775366715

Add a review